Saturday, August 16, 2014

Attempted cake decorating

I was asked to make a cake for a friend at work who is having a baby.  Let me just start by saying.... I am no cake decorator. My mom is amazing when it comes to cake decorating. She does masterpieces! 
I can bake, fill, and frost a cake.  I can slather a whole lot of frosting on top and make it taste pretty good.  I have no creativity or talent when it comes to decorating them.  So, I was a bit nervous when I was asked to make one for this friend at work.  Did I mention I found out about it the day before?  Did I mention that I didn't even have the right cake pans?  Did I mention I didn't have any of the ingredients?
So, after getting off of work in the morning, I went shopping.  I came home and baked 2 cakes.  While they cooled, I took a nap.  I don't do as well as I used to on absolutely no sleep, and that's what I was running on.  That night, after the kids were in bed, I went to cake decorating.  After I filled it, and started to frost it, my husband says, "That's beautiful!  Did you take a picture?"  Um, no.  It didn't look very beautiful to me, and I was in a bit of a hurry to get this cake done so I could get to bed.  He insisted I take a picture, so I did.  Here you go...  
Next came the frosting and decorating.  The only problem... I put so much filling on the inside, that I didn't leave enough for the outside, and I didn't have time to make more.  So, I did my best with what I had.
I decided to do polka dots, but instead of spending hours making them with frosting, I used candy melts.  When they were all on, the top still looked a bit plain.  I went through all of the silk flowers I had to make clips for the girls' hair, and found some flowers.  They matched perfectly.  Thank you, Lord!
And this is the finished product.  
I was fairly happy with the result, but let me just say.... I think I'll leave the real fancy decorating to my mom and the other experts. While I did have fun, I did not get her creativity!

No comments: