Monday, November 16, 2009

Sick pumpkin!

The kids have both been sick off and on over the past couple of weeks with a respiratory bug. Talon had a low grade fever for a couple of days, but otherwise seemed to be doing well. It definitely didn't slow him down. Wednesday night, when I was trying to get ready for our trip to Oregon, I got the kids in bed between 8:30 and 9, and started cleaning up the house a bit. Around 10:00, Anthony said I might want to check on Kaitlyn- she was crying. I went upstairs and she was asleep, but Talon was crying. I turned on the light to find him sitting up in bed, he had a horrible croupy cough, and was having a hard time breathing (grunting, retracting, ...the whole nine yards). Not to mention, he was running a fever. Hoping desperately not to have to sit in the ER all night, I called the PICU and asked the intensivist if he would see him and treat him. He said to bring him in. Off to Boise we go. Thank Heavens for Dr McConnell! Talon got a neb treatment, a prescription for steroids and Tamiflu, we hung out for about an hour to make sure he wasn't going to rebound, and we were on our way. Talon sounded much better. Motrin brought his fever down, and he was a pretty happy boy as we trotted out to the car around 1am. Home from Boise we go!
I drove to the Walgreens in Eagle to fill his prescriptions, and found a sign that said "Your closest 24hr Walgreens is in Boise". Fabulous! Back to Boise we go. When I was almost there, I decided to call and find out if they even carried the med that was prescribed. "I'm sorry, we don't carry Orapred". But of course! Home from Boise we go.
Coming to the conclusion I wasn't going to be able to fill his prescription until morning, I decided to go to Walmart and get a humidifier. As I walked through the store, my son barking like a seal every time he coughed, people just stared. You could see it all over their faces..."What a horrible mother- keeping that poor baby out at this hour when he's obviously sick".
I finally found the humidifiers. Decisions. Decisions. After 'shopping' for one that seemed like it would do the job (without spending my kids' college fund), we headed to the check stand. Every time we passed an item that even resembled food, Talon would say "Eat? Snack?". I tried to find something remotely healthy without a lot of sugar (since it was almost 3am). Ah, ha! Ritz crackers with cheese. I paid and we left the store. It was FREEZING outside! Just as we were getting ready to pull out of the parking lot, Talon reminded me... "Crackers?". As I opened the lid, I realized they had already been opened and half of them already eaten. PERFECT! I again had to get him out of his car seat and go into the store. Wouldn't you know it, we had grabbed the last container of crackers. With the help of the clerk, we searched every check stand. Not a single container of the cheese crackers left. I gave up and we left with cookies. ~sigh!!
We finally got home around 3:30am. I think I finally got to bed around 5am. Of course, Kaitlyn was up bright and early the next morning.
This is my little trooper (holding tight to his monkey and getting ready to go to sleep after a very long night!).
He got better with the steroids, and has only had one short episode since. Dr McConnell strongly suggested we have a consult with Dr Beck- who may recommend we have his tonsils taken out. I guess we'll see!

1 comment:

Rachelle Harding said...

What a crazy night! Hope everything is ok with Talon now.