Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Katie Quip

At times, I wish I could turn on a tape recorder for the entire day just to catch the funny things the kids say.  Some days, they just keep us in stitches all day long.  I try to remember the things they say so I can jot them down and put them in a memory book for them (and myself) to read when they get older.  It just isn't quite as cute or funny on paper as it is when it comes out of their mouth.  Not to mention their expression and voice inflections.  This is a little something that happened last night, that I had to try so hard not to laugh at (at least where the kids could see!).
It was Labor Day, so we went to my parents in the evening for a picnic.  We've had a small issue with Talon in that, when he gets to play the Wii at Grandpa and Grandma's, he throws a fit when he has to turn it off and we have to leave.  We have warned him numerous times that, if he throws a fit and can't act like big boy, he will get grounded from our Wii when he gets home (This is something he dislikes very much!).  So last night, I told Talon it was time to leave, and he proceeded to throw a fit.  I told him he would be grounded when we got home if he didn't quit, but he still continued.  When we got in the car, our conversation went something like this:

Kaitlyn: "Is Bubby gonna be in trouble?"
Me: "Kaitlyn, that is for Mommy and Daddy to decided.  Don't worry about it.  We don't let Bubby talk about you when you are in trouble."

I tried to lighten the situation a bit, and chat with the kids on the way home, but Talon was very quiet and pensive for a while, and didn't say much for about 10 minutes.  Finally, he started talking.  These days, he likes to ask how to spell various words, and asks what signs say when we go by.

Talon (seeing a few street signs in a row): "Mommy, what does that sign say?"
Me: "That sign says 'No Parking at any time'."
Kaitlyn then pipes up: "And THAT sign says 'You're grounded!'."
Me: "Kaitlyn, that's enough!"
I'm just glad it was dark in the car and the kids couldn't see me, because I had to laugh.  It was hilarious!

2 comments:

Kelly, Aaron and now...Kayleigh said...

Oh my that is funny!
I never comment on your blog but... I do read it often and love to catch up with your families happenings. If your ever in this neck of the woods we should get together!
-Kelly

Candice said...

That would be so fun! I love keeping up with you guys as well. It's fun to see what Kayleigh is up to- seeing that her and Nolan are so close in age.
Hope you all are doing well. I definitely miss my Idaho friends! Glad some of you have blogs so I can keep up with happenings there.
Candice