Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mom's plug

Some of the kids' most valued possessions... their laptops!
Yes, they love 'em. I have to admit, so do I!
Do I enjoy the constant requests to find a certain game or puzzle? No. Do I love that I am forever changing batteries? No. Do I love that talking squirrels' obnoxious, nasally voice? No. Do I love the sound of a hard plastic toy, falling off the furniture or being dropped, hitting the wood floor, and about shattering that last nerve? No. Do I love that they know how to turn the volume all the way up, but can't seem to figure out how to turn it down? No.
When I start listing them, there are quite a few things I rather dislike about these wonderful little toys. But...
I love the fact that they are educational. The kids are having fun learning their letters and numbers, and they are doing a lot of hand-eye coordination. There are lots of fun games that often keep them entertained for long periods of time (priceless, when you have a lot to do and little time to do it all in... with an infant!). No, they don't camp out on them for hours at a time. They have their share of running and active games they play, along with all the bazillion books we read; but it's nice to have an activity that they can sit and do where I don't have to worry about what they may be up to when everything gets quiet. (Yes, I enjoy the peace and quiet- don't get me wrong- but there's "quiet", and then there's "too quiet".) While Kaitlyn's been laid up with her leg injury, it's been nice for her to have something to do while she sits around and can't get down and run. I love that they are exactly the same toy, so they don't have to fight over who gets to play with it. They are different colors, so they know which one is theirs.
Hey, maybe we're just conditioning our kids to be little technogeeks, and be able to survive in this technological age. Maybe we're just getting them sick and tired of computers, so that when they become teenagers, they wont want to sit in front of a computer screen for hours on end, and will want to get out and be active! (Yeah, probably not!)
Okay, so there it is. That was a really lengthy post (extremely understated, I know!), but that's my word of appreciation to Vtech for coming up with a toy for my kids that is educational, yet entertaining, and rather inexpensive (well, except for the stock we have to buy in batteries!).
Oh, and what post would be complete without a picture to tie it all together?!?!
The End!

No comments: