Sunday, August 15, 2010

Zucchini

We went to Grandpa and Grandma Bauer's and came home with some zucchini from their garden. The kids were so excited because they each got to bring one home to show Daddy. Kaitlyn hauled that thing around all night until it was time to go to bed. She was very proud of her "nini". That poor thing got dropped so many times, it's a wonder it wasn't complete mush by the time she got done with it! She tried to take a couple of bites out of it (I think she thought it was a cucumber), but was very disgusted with the taste.



-----------------------------
I love battered and fried zucchini spears, but I really don't need all the grease that goes along with it. So, I experimented and came up with a great, low-fat way to cook it on the grill!
1) Wash the outside peel
2) Slice it into approx 1/4" rounds
3) Spray both sides with olive oil (you can use plain Pam if you don't have the olive oil in a spray can)
4) Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder;
or use the Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning Mix that you get in a big container from Costco, with just a little extra salt.
5) Grill both sides on the BBQ for a couple of minutes until it's as tender as you like it. I prefer mine to still be a little crunchy around the edges and a little soft in the middle.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! It's a great way to use up the hundreds of huge zucchini that one small plant can produce!

1 comment:

Rachelle Harding said...

Love those veges! You would bust up if you saw the ones I just bought at the store. They are about the size of my pinky. Literally I laughed so hard! LOL!